The idea for these wholemeal pancakes came about after discovering I had an unopened bag of wholemeal plain flour in my cupboard, which I must have got with the intention of making wheaten bread – something I love to bake for my supper club. I know I could use it up in any manner of cakes and bakes but I thought I would try something different this time.
As we aren’t too far away from Pancake Day, I thought I’d get flipping and stacking – American style. My plan was to combine coffee and bananas. I decided upon caramelised bananas and espresso butter instead of the regular maple syrup/ sugar and lemon combo. The flavours are divine together, especially if you scatter over some little pieces of walnut for added crunch but pecans would work equally well if not better.
After playing around and researching thoughts and ideas on how to make light and fluffy wholemeal pancakes rather than tough, dry and stodgy slabs of batter I discovered this recipe which works an absolute treat. The pancakes are simple to prepare and a very good texture so I will be flying through my wholemeal flour now rather than leaving it to lurk at the back of the cupboard.
Another good idea for using up any of the excess espresso butter is to spread it onto warm toast and top it with sliced bananas for breakfast or use it as a topping for muffins, cupcakes or loaf cakes. It’s as addictive as Moose Maple butter which is one of my favourite things in the world to eat. The perfect coffee lovers butter, full fat and worth it 😉
Here are some more delicious pancake stacks for you to enjoy:
Pumpkin pancakes with chilli fried broccoli – Thinly Spread
Fruity mini pancake stackers – Eats Amazing
Sweet potato pancakes – Munchies & Munchkins
Kefir kale pancakes – Tin & Thyme
Maple pecan banana pancakes – The Veg Space
Bakewell tart pancakes – Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
Chocolate & lemon curd pancakes – Tinned Tomatoes
Banoffee pie pancakes – Penne for your Thoughts
Cornmeal pancakes – Casa Costello
Wholemeal Pancakes with Espresso Butter
- For the espresso butter:
- 50 g unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coffee essence
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- For the caramelised bananas:
- 1 banana sliced into thick chunks
- Icing sugar to coat
- walnuts/pecan nuts for garnish
- For the espresso butter:
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and beat thoroughly until the coffee is combined into the butter completely.
- Set aside to add to the warm pancakes
- For the caramelise bananas:
- Heat your grill to it's highest setting and line a baking try with foil.
- Place the sliced banana on the foil and sift the icing sugar through a small sieve onto the banana pieces until the are coated with a layer of sugar.
- Grill until the sugar starts to turn golden then remove and use them to top your pancakes along with the espresso butter.
These recipe for these pancakes can be found at http://www.fifteenspatulas.com/whole-wheat-pancakes/