This is a soup I have been making in my head for ages then it became a reality at my last supperclub. I felt I should post it as it got lots of compliments from the guests and I’m definitely re-entering the soup making world again, especially after having demonstrated my Moroccan spiced chickpea harissa soup at Fantastic British food festivals last weekend. As much as I adore the summer, Autumn comes a close second and soup is the perfect Autumnal dish.
You know, I have always loved beetroot. Pickled, raw, mashed and roasted, its flavour changes depending on how it’s cooked and if you aren’t as much of a beetroot fan as I am, soup is probably the best way to enjoy it. It’s much less earthy when sautéed then cooked and finally blitzed in my Froothie Optimum 9400. The Froothie makes the smoothest of soups without the need for the cheffy technique of passing it through a fine sieve – one of my most loathed jobs as a chef.
I have taken so many photos on my phone of this soup in all of its fuchsia glory, but I have deleted them all. The colour is too good to capture. A pinky, purply neon splash that has to be made to be believed. It’s the most bittersweet of soups. The orange zest and fennel seeds give it an exotic flavour which you can’t quite believe considering how few ingredients are used.
If you do make this soup, I hope you enjoy it in all it’s colourful glory.
Here are some other beetroot recipes from the web you might like to check out:
Beetroot & lemon home cured trout – Kavey Eats
Roast baby beetroot salad – The Hedge Combers
Beetroot chive & asparagus tarts – Tinned Tomatoes
Carrot beetroot & ginger juice pulp cake – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Beetroot & pomegranate salad – Family Friends Food
Bramley apple & beetroot salad – A Mummy Too
I am a brand ambassador for Froothie. If you click through and buy a Froothie from my site, I receive a small commission which helps to keep my site up to speed, thanks!
Beetroot Fennel Seed & Orange Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 carrots peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 bunch beetroot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed in a pestle & mortar
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- 1 orange zest & juice
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil and fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes over a medium/low heat
- Add in the fennel seeds and chooped beetroot and fry for a further two minutes, adding seasoning
- Pour over the hot vegetable stock, bring the soup to the boil then simmer for about 1 hour until the beetroot if fully cooked through (this might take longer if your beetroot is in bigger chunks)
- Remove the soup from the heat and blitz in a Froothie or other high powered blender
- Add the orange zest and juice and check the sreasoning
- Serve with sour cream
This soup keeps well in the fridge for up to one week.