Sometimes dishes come together in the right kind of way and this is one such dish. Oven baked chorizo with sweet potatoes and chickpeas sounds fairly wintry but in fact, with the addition of fresh green baby spinach, cool and crumbly Feta cheese and plenty of chopped coriander it is transformed into something that would work as a brilliantly as an accompaniment to a summer bbq.
Meaty, spicy and sticky from being baked in the oven for an hour, this is the way I will now be enjoying my chorizo over the summer along with a few chorizo and prawn skewers for good measure. Adding chipotle chilli to this dish makes a huge difference in it’s resulting flavour so if you can get yourself some (whole, paste or powder) you certainly won’t regret it. Try adding some chipotle to your bbq sauce, mayo, thick yoghurt, home-made tomato sauce or even shop bought ketchup to take it up a notch in taste sensation.
I thought the ideal dish for baking my chorizo in would be my Le Creuset baking dish which, supplied to me by The Steamer Trading Cookshop. It’s one of those dishes that not only oven bakes evenly, it washes up like a dream and comes in a range of pretty colours such as this pale minty green, so it’s good enough to serve straight from the dish.
Here are a few more recipes ideas using chorizo, sweet potatoes and chickpeas:
Sweet potato, chickpea & coconut curry – Planet Veggie
Barley bowl with spiced aubergine & chickpeas – Tin & Thyme
Chorizo jam – A Life of Geekery
Chorizo baked eggs – Emily’s recipes & reviews
Chorizo mac n cheese – Lucy Loves
Chipotle black bean stuffed sweet potatoes – Wilde Orchard
Orzo risotto with chorizo – Foodie Quine
Chicken Chorizo & chickpea stew – The Hedge Combers
Butternut squash & chorizo casserole – Fab Food 4All
Thanks to Steamer Trading for providing me with my Le Creuset baking dish. Recipe, thoughts and opinions my own.
Oven Baked Chorizo with Sweet Potato & Chickpeas
- 2 chorizo cooking sausages skins removed and roughly crumbled
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli powder/paste
- Salt & pepper
- 1 sweet potato peeled and roughly chopped
- 400 g tin of chickpeas rinsed
- 400 g tin of peeled plum tomatoes
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 100 g Feta cheese crumbled
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Fry the onion and chorizo pieces (in a wide frying pan) until browned over a medium heat for about 5 minutes
- Add in the garlic, chipotle and Rosemary and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add in the sweet potato, chickpeas and seasoning along with the tinned tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Stir well, bring up to the boil then transfer the mixture to an oven proof baking dish.
- Cover with tin foil then place in a pre-heated oven (180 degrees ) and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and add a splash more water to loosen the stew then finish off by adding the baby spinach, then crumble over the Feta cheese and top with chopped coriander.
- Enjoy with brown rice, quinoa, cous cous or stuff the mixture into warm pitta breads and serve with yoghurt.
This dish could be made vegetarian by replacing the chorizo with vegetrain sausages or fried pieces of firm tofu.
It also freezes well.