I didn’t set out to write a post about a spring green quinoa salad. Since returning from Nepal, two weeks before the earthquake, I have been trying to find the right way to compose a post about this amazing country.
I have finally decided upon how I am going to write it and I am even more committed to doing so since hearing of the second earthquake. A tragedy is such an understatement for what has happened to the people of Nepal. That and so much more will be in my next post.
What brought about this recipe, an assembly of chopped ingredients, was my ten year old daughter. This week is SATs week so I thought I would ask her what food she would like me to make for her. “Anything you want”, I said.
Here I was, expecting sausage and mash, lasagne, chocolate cake, steak and chips or apple crumble. But no. A salad is what she said. A salad!
No, she is not anorexic. No she doesn’t have a weight problem. No she is not even a faddy eater.
“Yes!” I thought. My food work as a parent is done. Persistence pays off, big time. She is healthy of her own accord. I am proud.
So here is my dearest, most meaningful recipe to date. For the best ten year old ever.
P.S. She loved it.
Here are some more quinoa and spring salads to inspire you:
Purple sprouting Caesar salad – Rough Measures
Quinoa, lentil & bean salad – Tinned Tomatoes
Quinoa, rocket & pomegranate salad – Hungry Healthy Happy
Conchiglione pasta with pesto, asparagus & bacon – Maison Cupcake
Warm quinoa & rice salad with tofu – Fab food 4 all
Quinoa with roasted butternut squash – A glug of oil
Barley, beetroot & Feta salad – Jen’s food
Char-grilled asparagus, courgette & Halloumi salad – Cook Sister
Spring cous cous salad – Coffee & Vanilla
I am linking to:
Spring Green Quinoa Salad
A healthy and tasty salad idea for spring
- 120 g quinoa cooked according to packet instructions OR pre-cooked
- 1/2 cucumber de-seeded & finely chopped
- 8 radishes thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 4 raw broccoli florets thinly sliced
- 1 medium courgette grated, then squeeze out the juice after grating
- a handful of blanched frozen peas
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- A handful of baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 bunch of fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil approx
- salt & pepper
- Place the cooked/pre-cooked and cooled quinoa into a large mixing bowl
- Add in all the ingredients and mix thoroughly together
- Check the seasoning then serve in bowls as a light lunch or as a salad accompaniment
A perfect spring salad for vegetarians and vegans.