I know lots of people who say they are scared of cooking fish. It often comes up as a topic of conversation in my cookery classes. It is usually a fear of over cooking a handsome wedge of white fish. Fair enough, given that fish is so expensive it is often a case of not wanting to waste money on an ingredient that may turn out less well than well expected.
I am a keen fish cook but I fully appreciate how easy fish is to get wrong, which is why I have come up with a very simple way to cook a good piece of fish, Skrei in fact. Norwegian cod. I was sent some a few weeks ago to try out and it was sensational. Fat, chunky flakes of tender white flesh. This fish could blast any other out of the water if you get it right.
The way forward is simple. Pan fry it in plenty of butter and a little oil (to prevent the butter burning). Finish it off in the oven for 8 minutes. Done to perfection and no need for too many adornments when you have a hunk of fish flesh this good. I simply blanched then stir fried some flower sprouts with a couple of de-skinned chorizo style pork sausages and served the fish with a disc of chilli lime butter.
If you would like to find out more about Skrei, you can do so HERE. It is certainly worth seeking out, but it also happens to be seasonal and will not be around for much longer. The season runs from January to mid-April so do try to source some of you can. Many of the top chefs are big fans too if that helps 😉
And a little more Skrei recipe inspiration….
Skrei with lemon butter & parsley sauce – A glug of oil
Baked Skrei chorizo & potatoes – Kavey eats
Blackened Skrei with a miso glaze – Cook Sister
I was sent some Skrei to sample by The Norwegian Seafood Council. However all opinions expressed are my own, I was not required to write a positive review, I just happen to love Skrei.
Norwegian Skrei with flower sprouts & chorizo
A delicious meal for fish lovers, full of bold flavours.
- 2 fillets Norwegian Skrei
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Light olive oil
- 2 wedges Lime
- 1 packet Flower sprouts
- 2 Chorizo style pork sausages
- For the chilli lime butter 🙂
- 100 g Unsalted butter softened
- 1 Red chilli finely chopped
- 1 Lime zest only
- For the chilli lime butter 🙂
- 1. Put the butter into a mixing bowl and add the chilli, lime zest & seasoning then mix thoroughly,
- 2. Place the butter onto a piece of cling film in a sausage shape,
- 3. Roll up the cling film so the butter forms a cylindrical shape then place in the fridge or freezer until you need it.
- For the flower sprouts & chorizo 🙂
- 1. De-skin the sausages and crumble the meat,
- 2. Fry the sausage meat in a pan until it is brown and crisp around the edges and is cooked through (5 mins approx),
- 3. Blanch the flower sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain well and add to the cooked sausage meat, taste for seasoning.
- For the Skrei 🙂
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees,
- 2. Place a large knob of butter into saucepan and add 1 tbsp of oil and heat the pan well,
- 3. Season the Skrei with salt & pepper then place into the hot pan, skin side down and brown for 1 minute before flipping it over with a fish slice then put the pan into the oven and continue to cook the Skrei for 8 minutes,
- 4. Lift the Skrei onto a plate and serve with a slice of the chilli lime butter and the sautéed flower sprouts & chorizo. Serve with lime.