This is a recipe that I tried over the weekend along with one other, soon to follow. I bought a pumpkin impulsively and set about creating a couple of ideas. These spiced pumpkin cupcakes make a welcome sweet treat, perfectly finished by the citrus laced cream cheese icing.
At this time of the year, I find myself using warming spices more and more in both sweet and savoury dishes. I start buying more nuts too. I like to have a few to hand to add to wintry salads, breads, cakes and to sprinkle on top of baked pudding for crunch.
These cupcakes are based on a simple throw everything into a bowl and mix school of cooking. No previous baking experience required. Just a love of good cake.
Here are some of my previous pumpkin & squash recipes which may have you buying one pumpkin for carving and one for cooking with. My next pumpkin recipe will be a perfect accompaniment to the savoury dishes listed below.
Pumpkin Orange & Pecan Muffins
- 225 g Caster sugar
- 225 g Light muscovado sugar
- 525 g Plain flour
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Allspice powder
- 4 Medium eggs whisked
- 240 ml Sunflower oil
- 120 ml Water
- 450 g Cooked pumpkin mashed
- 1 Orange zest only
- 75 g Mixed dried berries I used dried cherries, cranberries, blueberries & golden sultanas
- For the icing 🙂 enough to ice 12 cupcakes 🙂
- 120 g Unsalted butter room temp
- 120 g Icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1 Orange zest only
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees,
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cupcake cases,
- Put the sugars, flour, bicarb of soda, spices and salt into a large mixing bowl,
- Add in the whisked eggs, oil, water, mashed pumpkin, orange zest. Mix thoroughly before folding in the dried berries,
- Pour half the cake batter into the 12 cupcake cases. Reserve the other half of the batter to make a traybake cake or cook a further 12 cupcakes if you prefer smaller cakes. The traybake will also take 25 minutes to cook,
- Let the cakes cool completely before icing.
- For the icing:)
- Whip the butter with the vanilla until it is light and fluffy,
- Add in the icing sugar and whisk this in using an electric hand whisk or food processor,
- Fold in the orange zest and the cream cheese,
- Use to top the cooled cakes,
- This icing recipe covers 12 cupcakes so double up the recipe if you are covering all 24, or the 12 cupcakes and the tray bake.
This mixture makes either 12 cupcakes and 1 tray bake or 24 cupcakes. You could freeze 12 of the cupcakes if you do not need them or make a traybake with the other half of the mixture and freeze that for a later date.