A Salad of Spiced Oranges, Dates, Green Olives & Parsley

I have for you here a little sunshine in a salad. Inspired by the flavours of Morocco. Chilli spiced oranges, sticky dates, salty tangy olives and refreshing flat leaved parsley with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.

Orange date parsley salad

Yes, it is a salad. But, it’s not supposed to be a “diet” salad. More of a ” I have overdone it and need a change of food” creation that also happens to taste satisfyingly good and has me wishing for a trip to Morocco with all it’s heat, spice and colour.

spiced oranges

It is a dish that isn’t really a recipe but more of an assembly of ingredients that work so well together. When I  concoct recipes like this, I always think of Nigel Slater who is the master of dishes that seem to assemble themselves, with considered choice of ingredients. I wonder if he would approve……

spiced orangesThis salad fits perfectly with One Ingredient with Nazima at Franglais Kitchen (co-hosted by me)  and this month the challenge is  “Healthy recipes“.

spiced orangesI am entering my salad into No Croutons Required hosted by Lisa at Lisa’s Kitchen and Jac at Tinned Tomatoes. The chosen theme this month is “Veggie soup or salad“.

spiced orangesThis also fits on perfectly at Cooking with herbs. A monthly challenge run by Karen at Lavender & Lovage. The them this month is “Citrus“.

spiced orangesMy salad is also going over to Four Seasons Food. A challenge co- hosted by Louisa at Eat Your Veg and Anneli at Delicieux. The theme this month is “Virtuous Food“.

[yumprint-recipe id=’28’]

Comments

Looks lovely, just the sort of food I’m craving at the moment. I’m way too greedy to properly diet but similarly feeling the need for lots of taste without the stodge – for a week or so anyway! Regularly turn to Nigel Slater for inspiration re simply assembling good ingredients too.

Yum! What a lovely combination of flavours, sounds really fresh. Perfect for this time of year!  If I had the ingredients I’d make myself some right now! Happy new year!

What a lovely idea and such glorious colours for this depressing start to 2014 in England.  It’s taking me back to last summer in Morocco where these kinds of salads with local bread was what we ate every day. Easy to be healthy over there with steamed tagines and wonderful oranges. Will add oranges to my shopping list for the market this morning

That salad not only looks colourful and delicious but such zingy fresh flavours too – think we could all do with a bit of Moroccan sunshine and spice right now.

Oh a gorgeous vibrant Winter salad, how lovely! Just what we all need to be eating after the indulgence of December and Christmas. It is very Nigel Slater, great selection of ingredients perfectly assembled. Thanks so much for linking up to Four Seasons Food, and indeed this is extremely Virtuous!

6. Karen (Back Road Journal) says

I’ve made and orange and olive salad but never thought to add dates. They must add such a nice taste and texture…I can’t wait to try your pretty salad.

Funny, I have never thought of using dates in salad either, but this one looks like a winner. I have a great little local shop near me that sell the widest range of dates that I have ever seen, so I can give this a go to see which type is the best too. Thanks for this recipe, it seems like a great way to brighten up a winter’s evening.

Trackbacks