Walnut Rosemary & Fruit Loaf

My first ever memory of a truly amazing loaf of bread  is of a hazelnut and raisin loaf from Clarke’s. I was living around the corner from Sally Clarke’s restaurant and food shop at the time and loved to make a habit of enjoying one of the best cappuccinos in town (long before the rise of the decent coffee bar) and buying a good loaf of bread.

walnut

I also applied for a job there, went for an interview with Sally herself, who told me to come back and apply again once I had some experience under my belt. I was still studying professional cookery at Westminster college and had no practical kitchen experience at that point. Why didn’t I go back and try again? If only I could answer that question.

walnut

Sally Clarke was and still is a kitchen heroine of mine. Her no choice set restaurant menu using the best of what the seasons have to offer, her influences from working at Chez Panisse, her attention to detail, high standards and strong work ethic brought her success and recognition at a time when there were far fewer female chefs than there are today. She was a huge inspiration to me so I thought I would make a loaf of bread which reminds me of my first visit to Sally’s shop of wonders.

walnut

walnuts

One Ingredient-Walnuts

This loaf will be my entry into One Ingredient (Walnuts) hosted by me and Franglais Kitchen on alternate months.

soupI am also sending my loaf over to Cooking with herbs hosted by Karen at  Lavender & Lovage.

Breakfast-Club-logo-2This loaf of mine is also a suitable entry for Breakfast club  with a fruit theme this month. Hosted by Michelle at Utterly Scrummy and created by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours.

Tea-Time-Treats-LogoOctober’s  Tea Time Treats challenge is Bread, so I am sending this loaf over to Kate at What Kate Baked who co-hosts the challenge with Karen at Lavender & Lovage.

[yumprint-recipe id=’21’]

Comments

What a beautiful loaf. I lived near Clarke’s too and as you say, it has been there well before the area became full of a plethora of good food places. I love the rise on your bread and it has such lovely flavours.

What a WONDERFUL loaf of bread Laura and it has my favourite combination of walnuts and rosemary too! LOVE it and thanks so much for entering it into Cooking with Herbs! Kate is hosting Tea Time Treats this month, and her theme is bread, so I am sure she (and I) would love this to be entered too……..it would be nice to see it featured there as well! THANKS so much Laura, Karen

Oh thanks Karen, I will add it to Tea Time treats, haven’t been able to enter for ages! Do think of France and the walnut trees I have admired on holidays even though we have them here in the UK. Tart au noix is a fave of mine!

That’s a delicious-looking loaf Laura. I love the idea of combining fruit, nuts and rosemary to flavour the bread… this is definitely a recipe I’ll be trying soon!

Hi Anna, thanks for visiting and yes, I did enjoy this bread with butter but for me it is unsalted but think that’s because I tend to cook with it so never have salted in the house!

I love bread that has savoury and sweet elements…yours looks really good. Especially with a thick slice of that blue cheese! Thats the type of bread I could eat and eat….(and end up getting very full and fat!) x

Trackbacks