Moroccan Style Spiced Chickpea & Tomato Soup

I have managed to create two fantastic soups this week out of a need to use up some bits and pieces that have been lurking in both fridge and freezer, the first of which will feature in this post, closely followed by soup number two next week. It must be the onset of Autumn, the fresher air and noticeably shorter evenings although I did manage to sit in a pub garden until close to midnight last night.

chickpea

After an evening of enjoying friends’ company and several bottles of wine, this soup hits the spot perfectly. It has spice, carbs and a little heat of chilli. I will settle happily for this satisfying and sleep inducing soup. It will be closely followed by a farewell to summer soup, lots of wistful thoughts about summer and the busy term I have lined up. (News to follow)

Credit-Crunch-MunchI am linking my soup to the CREDIT CRUNCH MUNCH challenge this month hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. The original hosts of this challenge are Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and  Camilla at Fab Food 4 All.

fsf-summerAlso linking up to FOUR SEASONS FOOD. The theme is “Sliding into Autumn” and the hosts are Anneli at Delicieux and Louisa at Chez Foti.

110420800Finally I will be linking to the NO WASTE FOOD CHALLENGE, again hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary this month and it’s originator Kate at Turquoise Lemons.

[yumprint-recipe id=’16’]

Comments

Pretty photo! I make something very similar for my cancer nutrition groups, but with a harissa and yogurt mix on the side to stir in as desired. It is a wonderful combination of flavours, and pleasingly filling too. Sitting in a beer garden until midnight? Decadent! I hope you have a few more such evenings. It was gorgeous yesterday but had to switch on the fire for the first time in many months. It has been a good summer x

I know Kellie, what a good summer. I just knew that would be the last time we would be sitting outside the pub so made the most of it. It is a lovely and filling soup and I have now mastered the art of cooking chickpeas without it taking 4 hours!

2. Sarah says

It’s definitely getting cooler in the evenings… and dark earlier too. A bowl of your soup sounds like just the thing to cheer up an autumn evening.

I have really noticed the chill at night and am already missing the long summer evenings but will have to slowly adapt to this Autumnal coolness by making loads more soup. Although my next one is a goodbye to summer post soup :)

Just back into soupmaking too – used up some roast squash in soup last night and spiced it up with coriander, cumin and chilli. Something about the dip in temperature makes me crave spice too. Love the look of your soup – this could be next on my list.

These are always the best kinds of soups, I think, the ones made out of bits and bobs. Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge and Credit Crunch Munch!

Trackbacks