Spiced Carrot Cardamom & Orange Soup

First week back into the swing of  routines should have meant a visit to the dreaded supermarket. Much as I love online shopping, I am terrible at sitting down to order my food. So this week I have been raiding the cupboards and topping up supplies from the local co-op.

Not that it has bought me any more time in lesson planning. I still have a mountain of work  to do which will spill into next week and then beyond. I shall get there but it will be painful and I can vow to change my ways, knowing I never will.

In amongst this chaos I discovered some vegetables lurking in the fridge that had been there since before Christmas. A lone leek and half a bag of carrots left out for Rudolf and a bag of oranges that I bought but can’t remember why. So a soup was born out of true leftovers that had no sell by date on them but looked absolutely fine after having been left alone for 10 days.

I am entering this lovely soup into a few challenges for January because I may not have another chance to post a recipe before February, but come hell or high water, I am making marmalade.

Firstly, I am entering One Ingredient, hosted by me this month in partnership with Nazima at Franglais Kitchen. The theme this month is ORANGES.

Secondly, I am entering Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All.

Third, I am entering Simple and in Season over at Fabulicious Food and guest hosted by Lavender & Lovage this month.

Finally, I am entering into No Croutons Required run by Tinned Tomatoes and co- hosted by Lisa’s Kitchen. The theme is leftovers.

Spiced Carrot Cardamom & Orange Soup

Ingredients :- Makes 4 bowls

• 1tbsp olive oil

• 6 carrots chopped

• 1 leek chopped

• 1tsp Harissa paste (more if you like, I added 1tbsp)

• 6 cardamom pods de-husked (you only want the black seeds from inside the pod)

• 500ml approx stock (veg or chicken)

Zest of 1/2 an orange

Juice of a whole orange

• Cream  for garnish

Method :-

1. Place the oil in a saucepan and add the carrots, leeks, Harissa and cardamom. Fry for 5 minutes on a medium heat before adding the stock.

2. Bring to the boil and then turn the soup to a simmer and let it cook out for at least 20 minutes.

3. After 20 minutes take the soup off the heat and blitz it. Add in the  orange zest  and  juice.

4. Add some cream for garnish.

• The spice in this soup really warms you up on a chilly day . Like an internal radiator!

Comments

I love the sound of this soup as I have one that has all these vegetables/orange and more but no spice so I would have made it right now for lunch but sadly we are out of leeks so will make this another time! Thank you for entering such a tasty soup to Credit Crunch Munch:-)

Sounds good – I like the idea of adding harissa to the soup. We usually have soup for tea once a week and it’s usually tomato or carrot so that no one complains. Your carrot and orange recipe will make a nice change, but should still be familiar enough for even the fussy eaters!

Loads of my favourite ingredients all in one pretty soup. Owing to having to cook different menus for courses at works as well as home, I am often faced with an odd assortment of bits and bobs at weeks’ end. Invariably it is cobbled into a soup, risotto, bake or stir fry. But usually not as lovely as this. I haven’t eaten yet and this is making me hungry. Shall now go downstairs and rootle in the fridge. If I see the makings for this, you know what I’m going to do ;D

A bowl of your warming soup would be wonderful right now. I’ve known forever it seems that carrots and orange go well together, but I’ve not actually tried it myself. Something to remedy I feel. I do know about cardamom though and that addition can only be a good thing.

This looks really warming and very appetising! We might need a soup like this in the coming week…I’ve got my fingers crossed for snow…maybe if there’s a snow day I’ll make up some of this soup!

Kellie, Choclette & Laura I am sure to be making more of this soup seeing as the snow is on it’s way over as we speak! Typically, as soon as I have some work lined up, it looks like it will be cancelled due to bad weather. If that is the case, I will be making up time on my blog :)))

Sounds like a delicious soup Laura, and even more so for making use of leftovers! I have to admit that that’s why most of my soups are created, in an attempt to use up the things lurking at the back of the fridge!

Soup tonight for me too!!! Not with leftovers, but with a lot of fresh carrots: I was so distracted by my 4 years old boy running around the supermarket that I bought two bags of carrots (3Kg!!!). Great idea of adding some SPICY bits!!

Oh yes, I know that feeling well Rita which I why I rarely take my kids with me to the shops now. My son is by far the worst and does things like sit on fridges and pull tins off shelves. He is lethal! Hope you enjoy your soup :))

This looks and sounds delicious. And perfectly warming for all this harsh weather. I definitely need to get more creative and varied on the soup front and reckon I’ll be giving this a whirl. Thanks!

What a lovely sounding soup Laura, I think fruit goes so well with root vegetables in soup.
    I love the spiderweb of cream, you could top with a gummy spider for a perfect Halloween treat!

Trackbacks